Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Ceramics Project

Like most ceramics, the medium for mine was clay. When the piece was finally finished it measured about 10.5 inches in diameter. While creating the project, the design element that was stressed the most was the form. I used many techniques when creating this project. We used molds such as a bowl or pot to either hump or slump the clay over. I slumped mine inside a larger bowl. I also used my hands to smooth and shape it, and various tools around the room to create a design on the inside of it. My piece can serve many functions, from holding food, water, or any small objects such as keys. I created the design for my project by looking at some of the radial designs we created in our sketchbooks. I then chose some of my favorites including the triangles pointing opposite directions and the circles radiating outwards. I also knew i wanted something around the outside of the piece as a part of my design so i included the small circles surrounding the top of the piece. I learned many things from the project. Such as the hump or slump method and what radial designs were. If we ever repeated the project there are a few things i would change even though i was satisfied with the outcome. I would paint the red clay on thicker, i thought is was thick enough but it didn't come out as opaque as i wanted it to be. Also i would spend a little more time smoothing it out and making it smoother on the underside because it was inside the bowl and it made it hard to smooth.




No comments:

Post a Comment